Ontario Construction News staff writer
The Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC) announced winners of the 2020 Leadership and Green Building Excellence Awards last week, recognizing individuals and organizations that demonstrate “outstanding industry leadership and have made significant contributions to CaGBC’s mission to advance green building in Canada.”
“It is a privilege to congratulate the outstanding achievements of this year’s Leadership and Green Building Excellence Award winners,” said Thomas Mueller, president and CEO of CaGBC.
“While 2020 has brought much uncertainty, these award winners demonstrate that our industry remains focused on the important work before us. Addressing the need for sustained climate action, resilient buildings and communities, and human health and wellbeing will be critical in the decade ahead.”
Winners will be recognized throughout Building Lasting Change 2020, taking place online on five consecutive Tuesdays from Sept. 22 to Oct. 20. Leadership award winners will also be profiled weekly beginning in early September, while Green Building Excellence winning projects will be explored in a series of Lunch and Learn sessions starting late October. Click here to learn more and see the dates of these activities.
The winners of the 2020 CaGBC Leadership Awards are:
CaGBC Lifetime Achievement Award:
- Andrew McAllan – Consultant with Oxford Properties and leader in green building and commercial real estate for over 30 years.
Emerging Green Leader:
- Samantha Menard – Manager, Energy Team, EQ Building Performance
- Mohawk College, Hamilton
- City of Vancouver Civic Buildings
Volunteer Leadership – Chapter:
- Paul Frith, Director of Advocacy and Sales, Geosource Energy, Toronto
Green Building Champion:
- Stephani Carter, Founder and Owner, EcoAmmo
Green Building Pioneer:
- BentallGreenOak and RWDI
Ed Lim Technical Leadership Award
- Grant Peters, Partner and Manager of Green Building Services, Fluent Group Consulting Engineers and Councillor at Town of Orangeville
Students Leading Sustainability: Andy Kesteloo Memorial Project Award
- Colin Pinchin, Pathways, BC
Winners of the 2020 CaGBC Green Building Excellence Awards are:
Green Building Excellence – Zero Carbon Award
- The University of Calgary MacKimmie Complex Redevelopment, Calgary, AB
Green Building Excellence – New Construction
- Le Phénix, Montréal, QC a deep retrofit of a former warehouse represents, as its name suggests, a rebirth into a health-promoting, energy-efficient and innovative living lab which owner Lemay leverages to showcase sustainability best practices to its many clients.
Green Building Excellence – Existing Building
- Humber College Building Nx, Toronto – an ambitious deep energy retrofit at Humber College’s North Campus has achieved Zero Carbon Building Standard – Design certification, with the airtightness and thermal continuity of the building envelope driving improved energy results, while investment in lighting, temperature control and air quality brings increased occupant comfort.
Green Building Excellence – Inspiring Home
- West Bay Passive House, West Vancouver, BC
Green Building Excellence – Tenant Improvement:
- mcCallumSather workspace, Hamilton