Ontario Construction News staff writer
The 2021 Ontario Builder Awards were presented at the Ontario General Contractors Association’s (OGCA) construction symposium on April 8, showcasing construction excellence and members’ “latest and greatest” projects.
Winners include professional office buildings, restaurants, department stores, wastewater treatment plants, hotels and recreational facilities.
This year’s winners:
Buildings Group 1 – up to $5 million
- Project: City View Park Pavilion
- General Contractor: Ira McDonald Construction Ltd.
- Owner: City of Burlington
- Prime Consultant: Toms + McNally Design
- Major subtrades: Flynn Canada, Oakridge Landscape Contractors, Timber Systems Limited
Buildings Group 2 – $5 million to $25 million
- Project : Université de l’Ontario Français Campus Project
- General Contractor: BDA Inc.
- Owner: Université de l’Ontario
- Prime Consultant: Gow Hastings Architects
- Major subtrades: Kelson Mechanical Inc., Lucid Electrical Ltd., Iori Drywall
Buildings Group 3 – $25 million to $75 million
- Project: Endress + Hauser Headquarters and Customer Training Centre
- General Contractor: G.S. Wark Limited
- Owner: Endress + Hauser Canada Ltd.
- Prime Consultant: McCallum Sather
- Major subtrades: Hess Millwork, L.J. Barton Mechanical Inc., T. Lloyd Electric Ontario Ltd.
Buildings Group 4 – $75 million to $150 million
- Project: Royal Canadian Dragoons Facilities
- General Contractor: PCL Constructors Inc.
- Owner: Department of National Defence / Defence Construction Canada
- Prime Consultant: Architecture 49 Inc.
- Major Subtrades: KE Electrical Ltd., Dilfo Mechanical Ltd.
Buildings Group 5 – $150 million to $300 million
- Project: Dundas & Aukland – Station Place
- General Contractor: Bird Construction
- Owner: Main + Main
- Prime Consultant: Diamond Schmitt Architects
- Major Subtrades: Centennial Electric Group, Hardwall Construction Ltd., Select Drywall & Acoustics Inc.
Buildings Group 6 – $300 million
- Project: Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital
- General Contractor: PCL Constructors Canada Inc.
- Owner: Mackenzie Health
- Prime Consultant: Stantec Architects
- Developer: Plenary
- Structural Engineer: Entuitive
- Major Subtrades: WSP (Mechanical & Electrical (MEP))
Industrial Group 1 – up to $5 million
- Project: Maple Lodge Farms Cogen Hot Water Expansion
- General Contractor: Collaborative Structures Limited
- Owner: Maple Lodge Farms
- Prime Consultant: IFAB Engineering Partners LP
- Major Subtrades: Nelco Mechanical, Hardie Electrical, Alfred Fach
Industrial Group 2 –$5 million to $25 million
- Project: FIO – 2019 Expansion
- General Contractor: Maple Reinders Group Ltd.
- Owner: FIO Automotive Canada Corporation
- Prime Consultants: Tacoma Engineers, Norbec Architecture Inc.
- Major Subtrades: Cooksville Steel Ltd.
Industrial Group 3 – $25 million to $75 million
- Project: Corbec Inc. Steel Galvanizing Plant
- General Contractors: AEC Construction
- Owner: Corbec Inc.
- Prime Consultant: WalterFedy
- Major Subtrades: Telco Steel Works Ltd., Magil Construction, ECCO
Industrial Group 4 – $75 million to $150 million
- Project: Sobey’s Voilà Customer Fulfillment Centre
- General Contractor: Matheson Constructors Limited
- Owner: Sobeys Capital Inc.
- Prime Consultant: GKC Architects
- Major Subtrades: Steelcon Pittsburgh Steel Group JV, CIMCO Refrigeration, Clima Mechanical Contractors Ltd.