Ontario Construction News staff writer
The Request for Proposals (RFP) stage has closed for the Trillium Health Partners (THP) redevelopment project, including the Peter Gilgan Mississauga Hospital, Infrastructure Ontario announced last week.
EllisDon + PCL Health Care Partners submitted a proposal by the Sept. 30 deadline, following a two-phase RFP process that began in April 2022.
The project is being procured using a new progressive public-private partnership (P3) approach, with a Development Phase Agreement and a design-build-finance-maintain P3 Project Agreement.
The new Peter Gilgan Mississauga Hospital will include:
- Full replacement of existing hospital site, creating a modern health care facility to meet the growing and changing health care needs of this community
- New and expanded emergency department – creating one of the largest emergency departments in the province
- Surgical platform that provides flexibility to adapt to changing patient needs and new technologies, including an increase in the number of surgical operating rooms with specialized equipment and advanced imaging systems
- New advanced diagnostic imaging facilities
- New pharmacy and clinical laboratory
- New parking structure
At 24 storeys, the hospital will almost triple the size of the current hospital and will be approximately 2.8 million square feet. There will be over 950 beds – 80 per cent private rooms, 23 operating rooms, one of the largest emergency departments in the province, advanced diagnostic imaging facilities and a new pharmacy and clinical laboratory.
Over the next few months, IO and THP will evaluate the RFP submission and enter into a Development Phase Agreement with the new Development Partner in early 2023. During this phase, all partners will work together to further define and refine project requirements, design, pricing and risk parameters.
Upon completion of the Development Phase in 2024, it is expected that a fixed-price project agreement will be signed to design, build, finance, and maintain the project.
IO and THP are working with the Ontario Ministry of Health to deliver this project.
Trillium Health Partners is the largest community-based hospital network in Canada. The new Peter Gilgan Mississauga Hospital will fully replace the existing Mississauga Hospital.