Ontario Construction News staff writer
Maple Reinders Construction Ltd. has been awarded a $31-million contract to upgrade the West End Wastewater Treatment Plant in Sault Ste. Marie, SooToday reports.
Maple Reinders winning bid was $31,440,700.
Council approved an Engineering Agreement with AECOM in 2016 for consulting services related to the plant upgrades.
AECOM carried out a pre-qualification of general contractors and four contractors were invited to submit a bid.
Construction will include:
- removal of various process equipment throughout the plant
- installation of pre-selected process equipment
- building a new septage unloading station
- building a new headworks building
- upgrades to the existing sludge dewatering building
- upgrades to mechanical equipment, including replacement of air-handling units, ducting, adding new odour removal fans and stacks
- upgrades and repairs to various structural, architectural and electrical components of existing facilities
- installation of two new walk-in back-up generators
- various road, fencing, and site civil works
- coordination of the upgrades with the operators to maintain full operations at the plant