Ontario Construction News staff writer
Cambrian College is hosting the annual Jill of All Trades event at its main campus in Greater Sudbury on Thursday (Oct. 26). The event is hosted in partnership with the Rainbow District School Board and the Sudbury Catholic District School Board. Jill of All Trades is an initiative to encourage girls from Grades 9 to 12 to consider careers in the skilled trades.
The day-long event is packed with activities and hands-on learning, designed to foster in young women a better understanding and appreciation for skilled trades, and inspire them to consider a rewarding career in skilled trades, including:
- Hands-on workshops in labs showcasing a number of skilled trades offered at Cambrian
- Keynote address from speakers working in the field
- A tour of Cambrian College labs
- Lunch and snacks provided
- A Jill of All Trades shirt and a backpack filled with lots of swag for participants
More than 150 elementary and secondary school girls from across Sudbury got first-hand experience last year, in a variety of trades and technology, including automotive service, carpentry, chemical engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, heating and air conditioning, heavy duty equipment, mechatronics, millwright, mining engineering, powerline, and welding and metal fabrication.