Ontario Construction News staff writer
Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Quinte Health have prequalified four companies to deliver the Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital site redevelopment project.
Companies were prequalified based on criteria identified in a request for qualifications process that began in March 2023. Selection criteria included the required construction experience applicable to this project, as well as the financial capacity to deliver a project of this size and complexity. The prequalified teams are:
- Ledcor Construction Limited
- Sullivan & Son Limited
- Pomerleau Inc.
- Quinte Care Partners
A request for proposals (RFP) is expected to be issued to these prequalified companies later this year. Once submissions are received, IO and Quinte Health will evaluate the proposals, select a preferred company and then negotiate a final contract. The successful company is expected to be announced in spring of 2024. A fairness monitor will oversee the entire procurement process.
The new Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital (PECMH) will be designed to meet the current and future capacity needs of the local community. The project includes construction of a new hospital with improved equipment and facilities including a 24-hour emergency department, helipad, surgical suite, dialysis unit and other specializations.
The Quinte Health – PECMH Site Redevelopment project is being delivered using a Design-Bid-Build (DBB) model. Key features of a DBB model include increased owner control over the Project, as well as a high level of flexibility to respond to changing conditions and concerns.
Features will include:
- 20 inpatient beds with design potential for up to 23
- 24/7 emergency department
- Acute inpatient unit supported by physicians within the Prince Edward Family Health Team
- Inpatient pharmacy
- Satellite hemodialysis unit
- Ambulatory care including clinics, medical day care, endoscopy and medical device reprocessing
- Diagnostic imaging including x-ray, ultrasound, mammography and cardio-diagnostics
- Central laboratory
- Efficient access to other Quinte Health hospitals, secondary care in Belleville and tertiary care in Kingston
- New helipad
The new design will incorporate natural light in the atrium, energy-efficient windows throughout and sustainable materials wherever possible.